How to Remove Babylon From Google Chrome Search
I launched the Google Chrome Web Browser, and found something irritating. The Address Bar or Omnibox of Chrome is a search engine in itself. I entered my query there only to find the result page of Babylon. Surprised. I rechecked, and the result was same.
Search engine in the address bar is one of the beautiful improvements of web browsing. It saves lots of time. Babylon was creating problems there. Later I realized that it has also hijacked my Home Page. I realized that Babylon has changed its business plan and now become a dreaded browser hijacker malware.
Luckily, it doesn't take long for me to get rid of this nasty malware. If it has also hijacked your Chrome and you are wondering how to remove it, consider using following simple steps.
How to Disable Babylon from Chrome
Well it is not tough to bring back your favorite search engine in the address bar of Chrome.
- Click the wrench icon on the upper right corner of the Chrome, and you can find tools.
- You can find the ‘Settings’ page. You will find many options in the form or radio buttons. Here you are required to make changes on three items - On StartUp, Appearance, and Search
- On StartUp: There are three radio buttons. The third and last one is Open a specific page or…. With highlighted Set Pages. Click on Set Pages and enter the URL of your favorite search engine like Google. You are also required to delete Babylon (if it is there). Click OK.
- Appearance: Click on Show Home Button. It will show you the current URL of your Home Page. If you find Babylon there, change that with your preferred Home Page URL.
- Search: Click on the first box (a drop down menu and select your favorite search engine). Now click on the second box namely Manage Search Engines…. A window will come before you. It has two sections. Check closely the upper half (Default Search Engine). You need to select Google, or any other search engine as you wish. Remove Babylon or any other third party suspicious programs from the default list. Click OK at the bottom of the page.
You are also required to check Extension. Delete any extension that you have not downloaded.
What if it doesn't Work?
About steps have worked for me and it took around two minutes for me to completely remove Babylon from my computer.
Many users have complained that they couldn’t get rid of Babylon through these steps. They are not so lucky as Babylon has overtaken not only the settings of their browsers, but also computer. If you are also one among them, go through following guidelines:
1. Open Control Panel and check installed programs. More often than not, you will find Babylon there. Needless to say, you are required to uninstall it.
2. Check Program Files of your computer for Babylon.
3. If it is still not working, you need to go ahead and scan your computer for Malware. There are some good anti-malware software both paid and free. Use anyone of them and remove it and all other programs that are a threat to your personal and sensitive information.
Protect Your Sensitive Data: Use Trusted & Updated Software
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro 2013 Software (1 User )- New
Current Bid: $19.95
Understanding the problem
Babylon feeds itself through Google Adsense. If you search anything though it, the result page displayed will have Adsense advertisements. Clicking on those advertisements will make Babylon richer as Google share revenue with its partners.
To earn money, Babylon is indulging in this unethical practice. Usually, the ‘Babylon Bug’ enters your system when you download something from an unsecured website. It is important to download anything only from a verified and trusted website. Malware like Babylon enters your computer without taking any permission and hence they are a real threat to your sensitive information like internet passwords and financial records. Remove them immediately.
This Hub was last updated on November 5, 2012
You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this article up or down.